Celebrating this Canada Day with Young Kids

I need to start this off by saying I have conflicting feelings about Canada 150. I think Canada is a great place for me and many people to live. My contact with immigrants and refugees help me see this regularly. We have a focus on diversity and health care. We have opportunities for education, clean water, and beautiful parks. We enjoy all four seasons :)

Canadians have contributed much to the world, most notably insulin, basketball, the modern zipper, light bulb (Henry Woodward), the paint roller, the electric oven and more.

We apologize. And while we've been apologizing for the things in our past, we haven't made them right yet. And that is something that cannot be overlooked as we move past this 150th anniversary. We need to address all parts of the Truth and Reconciliation Findings. We need to address racism, especially institutional racism and racism in our judicial system and police forces.

We need our children to understand the past and to take steps for a better future for all.

But I believe that we can spend one day celebrating the good things about Canada, as long as we're willing to work hard the rest of the year to advocate and ensure a better future.

Music
Canada Day playlist for kids! I put together a playlist of kids songs with a Canadian theme and by Canadian artists.
Sparklers
Last year we got small sparklers from the dollar store and I helped E (age 3) and my niece (age 2.5) have a bit of fun with them. At that age, I wasn't comfortable letting them use them without my hand holding on, we'll see how it goes this year!


Flags, Decorations, and Tattoos/Face Paint
Kids love having things to wave around! And a little Canada flag or maple leaf on their cheek or hand will always bring a smile :)

Food
We keep red and white food prep to a minimum. I suggest just one Canada Day themed food. We usually do strawberries and whipping cream, maybe some Angel Food Cake.


If you want to listen to more on the conflicting and mixed feelings of Canada Day 150, click here for CBC's The Current aired yesterday.

"I want people to go into July 1 and beyond — eyes wide open accepting our reality. But it's a time to recommit. It's a time to re-energize. It's a time to move beyond what the Indigenous people in Australia call 'gesture politics' and it's a time for sustained and serious action." - Roberta Jamieson

Consider a donation to Indspire supporting Indigenous Education.
Read the Truth and Reconciliation Findings.
Join Standing Up for Racial Justice - Canada Facebook Group and learn more.

Comments

Popular Posts