Earth Day: Reusable Straw & Utensil Zippered Pouch

While not nearly as many people are eating meals at work and disposable cutlery usage is likely down somewhat these days, I thought this Earth-friendly project idea might be timely for someone looking for a quick and easy sewing project. It makes for a wonderful gift! Happy Earth Day!


I followed this Youtube tutorial by MADE Everyday.

Materials
30cm Zipper
Lining Fabric (2 pieces cut 13" x 4")
Outer Fabric (2 pieces cut 13" x 4")
Zipper Foot for sewing machine
Thread (I used cotton thread for all the seams/bobbin thread and rayon when sewing the line of thread on either side of the zipper)

I'm not going to reiterate the steps from the video because she does an awesome job explaining everything! I especially like how she describes the positioning of sewing around the wider part of the zipper.

I then purchased metal straws similar to these from a local store and then went to the thrift shop and purchased knives, forks and spoons. I wasn't able to find matching sets for each of the pouches I made for E's teachers but decided I was happier buying them second hand than prioritizing having a matched set.


When I make these again I will likely purchase shorter zippers (25-27cm) as long as the length of the straws and knives fit within the pouch easily.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I really hope more people can easily have metal cutlery and reusable straws available for on the go!

Comments

Popular Posts