BLM Protest and Resources

So this blog came about for a number of reasons. I wanted to put together some information including places to actively support BLM as well as articles that can help explain and support the dismantling of racist institutions. There are a lot more detailed, better written books by Black scholars than a lot of the articles that are towards the bottom half of this blog - but I think a lot of people start out reading articles before picking up a book and so I wanted to at least have a jumping off point if abolishing the police complex has never been on your radar before.

Along with confronting racism within myself/yourself and the people I/you interact with regularly, the two most concrete things we can do to respond: spend/give money to Black-owned businesses and community groups and send letters/sign petitions calling for massive changes to policing including demands to cut police budget to fund more community-based care and prevention programs. The following are links from Black activists (or content that was created with input from Black activisits).



Join BLM in your local area (Waterloo Region)

Template to talk to representatives

School Resource Officer Progam on hold in Waterloo Region schools while a review takes place - glimmer of progress.


Getting involved by attending a protest, listening to speakers and showing your support helps to demonstrate to community leaders how important this issue is to the entire community. I bring my young kids to rallies/protests because once we have conversations around these big global topics, they want to do something and it helps to normalize the idea of having kids having a voice in important community decisions. 


This is where the concept of performative allyship comes in, and I have to really check myself. Am I posting this photo to look like a really progressive mom? The answer is, I don't think so, I hope not. I really would like to see white children engaged in the fight for safety and equality of black children and adults.

Below are a collection of articles from a number of sources. I hope they're helpful and if you know of better material, please pass it on!

Why defund / abolish the police?





Is Canada really as bad as the United States?





(regardless of reason, not officially documented and not organized by race)

Ontario province just planning start to collect data by race in 2020 - progress!

Rethinking Public Safety

A couple last things. Fighting for racial equality includes Black LGBTQ+ Lives as well (and vice versa).


Wanting to know how you can go beyond a donation and a petition? Check out this great post by Nicole Stamp.

Lots of learning to do!

Comments

Popular Posts