Travelling with a 4/5 Year Old

Last year we spent 15 days in Switzerland and this year 29 days in Germany. Both trips Andrew worked for a portion and then we vacationed together with one set of grandparents. Now that E isn't a toddler, travel has moved in to an easier place with him. I threw together some tips/information I hope you find helpful with your own 4 or 5 year old.


Travel by Air and Road:
Since we're travelling with a fairly large group (4 adults, 2 kids) we rent a mini-van (VW Sharan) in Europe and bring our car seats with us. E has his own seat on the plane and so we strap his car seat on to the window seat we've paid for (checked the toddler car seat).
For air travel, we set up a little tent (simply tucking a dark blanket in to the seat/headrest in front and the headrest of their own seat) in the plane and my son slept in it instead of just getting upset at it and tearing it down as a younger child might.

Backpack
E's responsible for carrying his small backpack full of toys, empty waterbottle and a spare change of clothes in the airport. The responsibility is good for him, makes him feel important and gives him something to focus on during security. We use a toddler sized one (not his larger school backpack).

He's also legitimately started being in charge of our rolling carry-on bag. And does a better job than his parents - we have left it at security and the border agent line MORE than once! Eek!

Safety
There are moments during travel (airport, gas stations, restaurants, bathrooms) that I need E to stay in one spot and wait for me, often he's still within sight line but I can't concentrate on him for that time. We've done some training at home for this and I explain the importance of him standing still and not talking to anyone while he stands there each time.

One example is airport security: I find a chair for him to sit on and ask him not to move until we're all ready so that I know he's in a safe spot while we pack everything up. If he gets down I redirect him back to the chair.

Toys on the Road
One thing I was conscious of this time was not having little toys rolling around the plane or in the van. I brought along an old Christmas card box that was magnetized and kept closed pretty well. He was able to set up his Lego, Shopkins, Littlest Pets, small stacking toys etc in this box and we only lost one teeny toy and I think it actually happened inside the house.





Touristing:
Balance busy and rest. Too many days in a row of excitement can lead to over-excitement and meltdowns. We try to have a quieter day every couple days that includes our younger child napping and our Kindergartener having quiet time.

We try to hit up libraries, museums, science centres, parks and playgrounds, kids museums/centres and amusement parks aimed at younger kids. We have also done boat and bus tours with English translation that our 5 year old enjoyed.


Jet Lag & Sleeping:
The kids generally adjust to the new time zone faster than I do, but to help minimize it we pack black garbage bags and masking tape to put over windows. We've found that many places we stay don't have blinds or drapes and a 5am wake up call is not my idea of a good time.

I had to adjust my expectation that our 2 kids would share a room and sleep as well and as quietly as they do at home separately. A few of the days we had our youngest bunk in with us to give our 5 year old a full night's sleep.

Entertainment at "new home":
I bring some toys in our checked baggage to be played with on our trip if it's longer than a week. Otherwise we just use the travel toys the whole time. But longer trips mean we won't be going out every day to do something and will need some entertainment at home. I make sure these toys are easily counted and packed so we don't leave any behind (I'll literally write on my list 4 mini trains, 2 bouncy balls, jeep and 2 people - or won't write it down but just remember it).


Art/Colouring
A great individual activity for this age is crafts. Colouring, playdough, just a pad of paper, scissors and a glue stick can keep E entertained on his own for at least an hour or two.




Books
I go through our book shelves and pick out the soft cover books. I try to get a variety so that we can adjust our reading based on the amount of time we have any given night. E also started getting in to chapter books on our Germany trip. One chapter a day plus another book was a great amount of time and because we had few other books vying for his attention he was really able to stay focused and interested in the chapter book.


Homeschooling Activities:
Daily (or so) writing was a goal I have when going on longer trips. I at least want him to be writing his name every day. Also we make it part of our play by creating invitations, signs or posters to pretend parties, concerts, restaurants, etc.

Home Reading
Check out this post about summer learning for more info on diy home reading.


Learning Activities
Phonics worksheets and geography worksheets for the place we're visiting are great to have on hand. Also pictured an example of daily writing (accompanies drawing).

 Workbooks
The more focused learning books are filled with activities I do with E together or at least side by side so I can read the instructions with him and help him as needed. Sticker books are good activities for independent work. I prepared by cutting out the stickers and paper-clipping it to the correct page.




Travelling with a child this age has been a lot of fun! I hope these tips help you prepare for any trip with your 4-5 year old.

Comments

  1. You are such a great mom! I love watching you juggle 2 kids and excelling at it by yourself in a busy place like the aquarium and the children's museum! Your kids are so well behaved, and it's clearly time well spent reminding and reinforcing them. I will have to bookmark this for later!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts