E's 3rd Birthday

Our little kid is now getting to the age where he remembers a lot! So hoping to start traditions that will have meaning going forward.

Andrew and I woke E up singing a very off-key morning voice rendition of "Happy Birthday." He thought it was really fun and had an adorable sleepy smile on his face (wish we had taped it). Then we explained that while it was his birthday today and he was now 3, his party isn't until Saturday... He was unsure as to what that meant would happen today.

Thinking about how to make birthdays important and really love into E in a special way today, I decided Andrew and I would make appreciation statements about his good character traits or behaviour.

So after our song and little chat about turning 3, I just start listing some things and Andrew chimed in. Here are some examples:

I love that you're a great friend.
I appreciate that you give me morning hugs.
You're a really great singer and your dancing is wonderful!
You are good at using manners and saying 'Thank you' when people give you something.
I love that you can get yourself dressed now.

Basically, just giving voice to the things that we think make him great. It was sweet to see how proud it made him feel.


We had a really fun morning at playgroup, did some vacuuming (which he loves), had a great nap, watched an episode of Paw Patrol and then went outside to watch/help Dad put down some mulch.


E even ate his dinner outside watching Dad. Then we had cookies and sang "Happy Birthday".


Comments

Popular Posts