Our Favourite Picture Books about Anger

Our recommendations:
These books were all available at my local library. If you're hoping to talk through some strategies on anger I highly recommend checking out these books and putting them on hold at the library if necessary. In order ascending by age (determined by me).

Llama Llama Mad at Mama by: Anna Dewdney (toddler-Kindergarten)


-focuses on finding ways to work as a team and make things fun even when we have to do a chore or errand we don't want to do

If You're Angry and You Know It! by: Cecily Kaiser (toddler-Kindergarten)


-to the tune of 'If You're Happy and You Know It'
-5 simple strategies for what to do when you're angry

When I Feel Angry by: Cornelia Maude Spelman (Kindergarten-Grade 1)


-explains different scenarios that might make us angry
-describes how we feel when we're angry
-7 strategies for calming down / not feeling angry any more
-empowers kids "When I feel angry, I know what to do!"

Soda Pop Head by: Julia Cook (Kindergarten-Grade 5)


-talks about physical cues that are clues to us getting mad
-6 strategies to use before you "pop your bottle cap head"
-good illustrations with the strategies

NOT the best for us:
I borrowed other picture books from the library on this topic as well. The following three books are not recommended by me even though I've seen them recommended by others.

The Grouchy Ladybug
-ladybug goes looking for someone to fight when she's angry but no one is big enough until the blue whale who ignores her and she ends up back where she was at the start
-I don't think this book has much of a lesson on anger and what to properly do when you feel angry

When Sophie Gets Angry - Really, Really Angry...
-Sophie calms down by running (away), climbing a tree and waiting to calm down before returning home where her family is happy to see her
-this is not what I want my child to do when they're angry and I would be very worried and upset when my child returned after running away

Sam's Pet Temper
-gives a few strategies for controlling your temper
-the metaphor of a pet temper is over E's 4 year old head and I'm not sure at what age kids could fully understand that the pet named "temper" is actually the feelings inside the child and not an outside pet that's misbehaving
-highlights how a temper doesn't help you get what you want, but gets in the way

Preschooler Books About Feelings post here.

Comments

Popular Posts